Woodside Power Group Ltd. has began manufacturing at its Shenzi North undertaking within the Gulf of Mexico (GOM), forward of its first oil goal of 2024.
Shenzi North, for which a ultimate funding choice (FID) was made in July 2021, is a two-well subsea tieback that takes benefit of the prevailing Shenzi infrastructure to extend the manufacturing capability of the asset, Woodside mentioned in a information launch Wednesday.
Woodside CEO Meg O’Neill mentioned the start-up of Shenzi North additional demonstrated the worth of the corporate’s GOM property, acquired as a part of the merger with BHP’s petroleum enterprise in 2022. “First manufacturing from Shenzi North exhibits how we’re leveraging present infrastructure to extend manufacturing and supply engaging returns from our Gulf of Mexico enterprise. Taking the undertaking from FID to first oil in 26 months is a superb achievement”, O’Neill mentioned.
Woodside holds a 72 % curiosity within the Shenzi standard oil and fuel area because the operator and Repsol SA holds the remaining 28 % curiosity. The sector is positioned roughly 121 miles (195 kilometers) off the coast of Louisiana within the Inexperienced Canyon protraction space. Shenzi was found in 2002 and the primary manufacturing of oil and pure fuel occurred in 2009, the discharge famous.
The Shenzi platform produces oil and fuel with a manufacturing capability of 100,000 barrels per day and 50 million normal cubic ft per day. Crude oil and pure fuel produced from the sector are transported to connecting pipelines for onward sale to Gulf Coast clients, Woodside mentioned.
Japan-Australia CCS Initiatives
In the meantime, Woodside mentioned it has been actively progressing its decarbonization initiatives. Earlier within the month, the corporate signed a non-binding memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Kansai Electrical Energy Co. (KEPCO) to allow research of a possible carbon, seize, and storage (CCS) worth chain between Japan and Australia, in keeping with a separate information launch.
Underneath the MOU, KEPCO plans to analysis the seize of carbon dioxide emitted from its thermal energy vegetation and its transport to Australia. The MOU outlines a generic worth chain examine that may contemplate the end-to-end technical and business components to progress a future CCS worth chain between Japan and Australia. The research embrace an analysis of storage alternatives in a few of Australia’s offshore basins, in keeping with the discharge.
Woodside is progressing CCS tasks in Australia and can conduct the examine of injection and storage of carbon dioxide delivered from Japan, in addition to the potential manufacturing of artificial methane, or e-methane, the corporate mentioned.
Woodside Govt Vice President Shaun Gregory mentioned the MOU mirrored the rising demand for large-scale decarbonization options from Woodside’s business companions within the Asia-Pacific area. “CCS has the potential to offer a pathway for Woodside’s clients and worth chain individuals within the area to decarbonize their very own industrial emissions. Australia, with its distinctive geology and offshore storage potential, has a possibility to play a job on this rising market, supporting the broader Asia-Pacific area of their local weather targets and web zero aspirations”, Gregory mentioned.
Woodside additionally signed a non-binding MOU with three different Japanese firms to allow research of a possible CCS worth chain between Japan and Australia, in keeping with an earlier information launch.
Underneath the MOU, Sumitomo Corp., Toho Gasoline Co. Ltd. and Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha Ltd. will examine the seize, storage, and transportation of carbon dioxide emissions by business within the Chubu area of Japan. Woodside will conduct the examine of the injection and storage of carbon dioxide at Australian storage websites.
“Woodside sees CCS as a possibility, which would require coordination and collaboration – between jurisdictions, throughout authorities, and between authorities and business. Japan is one such nation that faces the problem of emissions discount and can foreseeably look to near-neighbor nations to assist their efforts”, Gregory famous.
To contact the creator, e-mail email@example.com