Norwegian oil and gasoline firm Vaar Energi has confirmed the invention of extra oil close to the Goliat subject within the Barents sea, whereas compatriot Aker BP has drilled a dry nicely close to the Edvard Grieg subject within the North Sea, in line with the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate (NPD).
Vaar revealed final month it had made an oil discovery close to the Goliat subject with the Countach nicely, which the NPD known as wildcat nicely 7122/8-1 S.
Vaar Energi confirmed at present that, following intensive knowledge acquisition and sampling, the preliminary useful resource estimate of the brand new discover was on the dimensions of between 3 million and 13 million barrels of oil equal recoverable.
The corporate added there’s potential in undrilled segments at Countach that might be as much as 23 million barrels of oil equal.
The nicely was drilled about 13 kilometres northeast of the Goliat subject within the southern a part of the Barents Sea, 90 kilometres north-west of Hammerfest.
The NPD’s report at present stated the first exploration goal for the nicely was to show petroleum within the Kobbe Formation in Center Triassic reservoir rocks.
Article continues beneath the advert
The secondary exploration goal for the nicely was to show petroleum within the Realgrunnen Subgroup in Decrease Center Jurassic reservoir rocks.
The nicely encountered an oil column of 13 metres within the Realgrunnen Subgroup in sandstone layers totalling 29 metres with reasonable to good reservoir high quality. The oil/water contact was encountered at 1650 metres beneath sea degree.
Vaar stated the nicely is being completely plugged and deserted and the allow holders are contemplating drilling an appraisal nicely.
“The invention is a part of a collection of profitable exploration wells within the Barents Sea lately, together with Lupa, the biggest discovery on the Norwegian continental shelf in 2022,” stated govt vp for exploration and manufacturing at Vaar Energi, Rune Oldervoll.
“We’ll contemplate a attainable commercialization and connection of the invention to the Goliat FPSO. As a result of late arrival of the drilling rig to the sector this winter, it has not been attainable to hold out the deliberate sidetrack earlier than the environmental drilling restrictions begin on 1 March. We stay up for persevering with to discover the world round Goliat at a later cut-off date,” Oldervoll concluded.
The nicely was drilled utilizing the rig Transocean Enabler. Vaar Energi is the operator with a 65% possession whereas Equinor owns the remaining 35%.
Vaar made the headlines in December final 12 months with the Lupa gasoline discovery, which was the biggest discovery in Norway in 2022.
The preliminary estimate at Lupa advised recoverable reserves of between 57 million and 132 million boe, additionally close to the Goliat subject.
However Aker BP got here up dry
In the meantime, Aker BP’s drilling close to the Edvard Grieg subject within the Norwegian sector of the North Sea, failed to seek out hydrocarbons.
The NPD stated the nicely 16/1-35 S was drilled in manufacturing licence 1141 about 6.5 kilometres west of the Edvard Grieg subject within the North Sea, 208 kilometres west of Sandnes.
The first exploration goal for the nicely was to show petroleum in Higher Jurassic reservoir rocks within the Draupne Formation, in line with the directorate.
The secondary exploration goal for the nicely was to show petroleum in Center Jurassic reservoir rocks from the Vestland Group.
The nicely hit the Draupne Formation at about 520 metres, together with a complete of 298 metres of sandstone layers with good reservoir high quality.
Within the secondary exploration goal, the nicely encountered the Vestland Group at 174 metres, 114 metres of which was a sandstone reservoir with reasonable to good reservoir high quality.
It was the primary exploration nicely in PL 1141 because it the allow was awarded in 2021.
Aker BP used the drilling facility Scarabeo 8, which can now drill wildcat nicely 25/4-15 in manufacturing licence 919 within the North Sea the place Aker BP can also be the operator.